Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Superweek: Blue Island

The course: 1 mile, 4 corner rectangle with very long front and back straights

The race started very casually, which was really nice. On the second lap, I noticed Michael Buechel and Vance James (two former Pros) sliding over to the side like they were about to attack, and they did, though as attacks go it was pretty slow and casual. I decided to jump on, but as I go by Mark and Tige I flash them a big grin, thinking this won’t last long the race just started and everyone is still fresh. However, Ralph keeps bugging me to try it so what the heck, we’ll be reeled in within a lap I think to myself. We start rolling it over fairly easy, but I still found it wasn’t far from putting me near my limit. Apparently Tige and Mark were blocking well, because we got a good gap quick. After a few miles I realized I would not be able to do this for 35 more miles, so I asked to just sit, saying I wouldn’t contest the sprint. Sadly they weren’t going to let me slide. Every time I’d leave a gap for one of them to slide into after their pull they would refuse to fill it, and nicely encourage me to just pull through easy. Looking at my GPS file we hit 34, 32 and 30 on those first few laps and we were averaging about 27-28, and the course was flat. I guess I don’t think there is any easy pulling at that speed. I really just wanted to recreate the last Tuesday night ride where I sat on Casey and Ben, sucking for air in my own private hell, knowing all I had to do was not get dropped. I was clearly out of my league with these guys, but they weren’t as understanding as Ben and Casey.

I found hope in the rear view mirror. I looked back and saw a lone rider bridging the gap and I was secretly hoping he would get to us quickly because I thought I could say…”now you guys have someone to give you a break, you don’t need me, I’ll just be sitting back here trying to hang on.” I did point out one probable reason for the large gap we had was because of the stellar job my teammates were doing back in the field, but again, they didn’t seemed persuaded. Fortunately they didn’t get as vocal as some guys can get, they were polite, but fairly insistent. And the addition of another rider to the break didn’t make them any less persistent. I made it about 10 laps/miles in the break, but after being forced to close yet another gap which I had politely created for the descending rider I just had to quit the break. I pulled over like the disappointed fat kid who didn’t get picked for the kick ball team, I said my good byes and waited for the field. I felt horrible, mostly because I knew all the work Mark and Tige had likely done to give us such a sizeable gap. I hoped they wouldn’t be too disappointed when they saw me coming back and I apologized profusely for basically screwing the pooch for us.

The bigger problem was as I came back to the field, there were several guys wacking it trying to get away. Tige and Mark were a little cooked from all the blocking, and I barely latched on to the field, as a group of 6 or so riders went away. They got a solid gap that would stick, and eventually join the other break away members. Now we were all racing for 11th. Dang. We pedaled around with little ambition, the occasional lone rider attacking only to be brought back. Tige and another guy got away, so I went to the front to try to return the favor. I hoped they could stick it, as I felt it would clear my debt, or at least assuage my guilty feeling. They maintained a good gap and Mark and I alternated jumping on everyone trying to get across. It was a lot of fun. It made me feel like I was part of the race even if it was annoying the hell out of a few guys. The problem was the constant jumps were taking there toll, and it would soon become evident I had nothing left for the sprint.

We only had about 10 laps to go at this point, when the break rolled up on our back side. Turns out our slower speed meant the break had put a mile on us and they were lapping us. As is always the case when this happens, the stronger guys in the break, try to jump away again in an attempt to lose their break away companions in the field. Well the relatively well rested field was not going to let the break go again, and the pace increased dramatically, dooming Tige and his break away companion. We caught them shortly after and basically sat in for the sprint. With 3 to go Dewey Dicky working for Jeff Barnes and Billy Jones working for Buechel dialed it up. The sprint was very long, but I was done and sat up coming out of the last corner. Tige hung in there and ended up in the money at 14th and Mark kissed his sister in 19th

Results


Post Script: The next day I was riding around and Vance came up to me and asked me why I had such an off day? Was I sick? Was I unable to train over the winter? I thought to myself “that was a career day what are you talking about”? Then I realized, I’m the “turn and look away” Denny Yunk. Many people mistake me for my infinitely faster teammate and recent bronze medalist at Masters Nationals TT. No wonder they wouldn’t let me skip a pull. From now on when I get in a break I’m going to be sure to tell everyone I’m no Denny Yunk, I’m much cuter.

No comments: